Monday, July 2, 2012

Jason Chan lied to family for his celebrity dreams, makes a name as an actor & host

TVB rising star, Jason Chan, attracts audience with his fluent English and handsome looks. Six years ago, he flew back alone to Hong Kong from England and joined TVB to fulfill his dreams of becoming a star. After six years, Jason made accomplishments in showbiz and recently his popularity rises! His goal is to be like Amigo Chui, hoping one day he can be a remarkable host like him.

Last year, 34 year old Jason gained recognition based on his role in TVB sitcom Be Home For Dinner. In the new series, No Good Either Way he and Natalie Tong play a couple for the first time. The two have both kiss and slapping scenes. As a newcomer, Jason is thankful of Natalie's advice on the kiss scenes. "In acting, Natalie is more experienced than me. She is attentive and knows how to look after others. Perhaps she knows I'm inexperienced, so she rehearsed the scenes with me before the actual shoot to reduce my anxiety. This isn't my first time shooting a kiss scene, so I'm not as nervous as the first time. The scene was okay after 7 or 8 shots. Actually, the scene where I get slapped by Natalie was the most memorable because that night, it had already been a full of day of shooting and we were shooting at 11pm, so I felt a little sluggish. After I got slapped by Natalie, she woke me up."

Lied to family to enter showbiz

Jason has a master's degree in economics from University of London. Jason has the looks and is considered a 'cute big man' on the inside. He has an elder brother and two younger brothers in his family. Back then, he bought a ticket and flew back to HK without his family knowing. "In England I was already watching TVB series, so I made up a beautiful lie to package the matter of going back to HK. At the time, I told my parents I wanted to find opportunities in HK, so I could develop in Mainland. I remember when I got a letter from TVB saying that I was accepted into the Artistes Training Class, I was very excited, I called my mother immediately, but I heard my mother's disappointed voice over the phone. Of course I understand my parents were worried about me, they feared the entertainment circle would be too complex. Fortunately, I now have some achievements and when on the phone with my family, we now have another subject to talk about."

Pleased to hear people calling him by his Chinese name

Jason has been in HK for 6 years and has opportunities everywhere. He first started off 'testing the waters' on TVB Pearl (English channel) as their host. It was only recently he started shooting series and has been heavily promoted to supporting roles. In his latest series Ferris Wheel Happiness, Jason takes on his first lead role and will be paired with Linda Chung. When asked if he likes hosting or acting more? Jason thought through the question carefully, he said: "Actually, I like both. As a host, I don't have as much pressure because the scripts are prepared beforehand and I have more time to prepare. When I first entered the industry, I was the host on the entertainment news channel, the live programs were challenging. My Cantonese wasn't that great, so once I went on air, I got so nervous my hands were sweating. Each time I completed a program, I was frustrated. That time, I had to have the quality of self-regulation. The program producer taught me a few tricks of a host, after 3 or 4 months, I got a hang of it. As for acting, I love and hate it because many times its last minute scripts. I have to put in greater effort into acting, but in the acting world, I could also portray different characters, which feels very satisfying. In the past, when people see me, they could only call me by my English name, but now on the streets people know my Chinese name. That makes me feel happy! If 100 was the perfect score, I would give myself 60 or 70. Amigo Chui is my goal, I hope one day I could be a host and be as successful as him."

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More