Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Florence Kwok - Laughing at Unpredictable Changes & Situations

Start loving TVB sitcom Come Home Love because there's enough madness in it. There is no age boundary for the madness, 53 year old Yvonne Lam can still pair up with 37 year old Tsui Wing; 70 year old Lau Dan can have a 42 year old sister Florence Kwok.

Florence: "That's not even that ridiculous, later in King Maker, I'm going to Chris Lai's mother! I was so upset, each day when I see him, I get upset, 'you bad boy, your not that much younger than me, and want me to be your mother...'"

Of course, Florence is just joking. Even if in this sitcom, she plays the youngest aunt, and in the next series she plays the Emperor's mother, what's better than continuous exposure on TV? We still haven't even counted the previous series she was in No Good Either Way, Gloves Come Off and 4 in Love.

"This year, it's seriously abnormal, viewers won't have a good day until 2013!" Florence laughed boldly.

She once left TVB for 4 years, but then seeing the changes in the market, she finally made her way back to her old home. Her acting skills were accumulated through all her years and experience in the industry. She unconsciously became a companion to audience over the last many years, that is truly the highest state.

"If I didn't go through it, I really didn't know I actually really love acting."

Relax, Hong Kong people, we never really had any good days anyway, I rather let Florence Kwok brainwash me. Almost forgot, it turns out Florence started out as a Miss Hong Kong too. That happened back in 1992, exactly 20 years ago.

Never Dreamed of becoming a Star

"I never dreamed of becoming a star! If I did, I would have gone to participate in Miss HK at age 18, but I was already 23 when I ran for Miss HK. I was almost overage!"

Florence was initially a white collar worker at an upscale law firm in Central, her Western boss hired her as a secretary. She worked Monday through Fridays and had 3 weeks vacation. According to her, the job was well-paid and had good benefits.

"I was totally Queen Jeh's (O.L Supreme, Liza Wang's role) younger version! With my looks, the White men fall into it."

One day Florence was out shopping, when a modeling company spotted her, the recruiter urged her to go for Miss HK, she foolishly just went along with it. Before she left, she told the boss: "I'll be back." Results, it was a path of no return.

"When handling situations, I'm a person that just makes a decision and won't look back."

Back then, the Miss HK winner was Hacken Lee's wife, Emily Lo. Florence is the only one left in showbiz today. She's lucky, after Miss HK, she was just standing around for three years in The Kindred Spirit. Soon after she was casted in several series including Time Before Time, Feminine Masculinity (Mr. Diana) and Colorful Life. She had a stable seat in the second female leading roles.

"Did you know that the sitcom Virtues of Harmony was developed from Colorful Life? Bondy Chiu's role was suppose to be mine."

Colorful Life was broadcast during the Lunar New Year of 2001, it was very popular, viewers loved watching Florence and Cutie Mui's bickering scenes. Who would have known Florence later withdrew from the 800 episode sitcom Virtues of Harmony, otherwise her destiny would have been written differently.

"I already ate the fatty pork, but then I had to throw it all back up because I suddenly pulled the emergency crisis switch. At the time, I was 32 years old, I believed besides acting, I didn't know anything else. I felt unsecured, is my life just gonna be like this? What happens when I get old? Be a Gigi Wong? Then when I get even older, then what? Be a Ha Ping jeh? I'm not saying they aren't good, but I was afraid viewers didn't want to watch Florence Kwok anymore. If I didn't leave at 32, then I wouldn't have the courage to leave at all when I'm 42. By then, will I leave showbiz and then start looking for a job, asking people to 'give me a chance'?"

Gave Up Acting Career

Florence has the nerves to do things quick and fierce. As she said, once she makes the decision, she will not look back on it. She gave up her acting career, and went to work at her sister's manufacturing company as an account manager, starting from fresh.

"My clients saw a celebrity greeting them, at first they were really excited, but after a few words, they thought I was a joke. I don't think my acting was that bad, I could come up with something to say right? But dang! When the client asked me 10 questions, I answered all 10 questions with 'I'll go back to check and then give you a reply.' They knew I had no skills!"

Fortunately her boss was just her own sister, and can tolerate the 32 year old Florence starting from the bottom.

"One time we were doing an undergarment photo shoot, I was responsible in putting together the run down. Wah! I had a headache, do we shoot first or do the lighting first? Or do we choose the bra colors first? You know, changing models over and over again is troublesome..."

Learning from experience, Florence then realized, she was actually in happiness back in showbiz.

"In the past when I was acting, whenever I wasn't satisfied, I would just shout for the PA: 'Why do I have to wait until 7pm, after completing the 1pm shoot? Then I have to wait until 12am again?" But I didn't know that the PA actually spent hours and great efforts into making the schedule for me. I wasn't the only person in the company! When I was working at the manufacturing company, I first went to meet with clients, then helped models put on shoes and I even took the trash out. I just felt Heaven gave me an opportunity to see another side of things, so I could really get it straight."

After working at her sister's company for a few years, she opened a restaurant with her sister and brother-in-law. Her objective was: "What people do, I don't do. Slaughter out a new bloody path." Florence opened a lamb-specialized restaurant in Causeway Bay. Then the SARS came along, and resulted in a true 'bloody path'.

"Such PK, we were just staring at each other. Conclusion was: 'Finally know why others don't do it!' I just didn't feel good."

Realizes Love For Acting

After leaving TVB for 4 years, she experienced the blood, wind and rain out in the business world and definitely got a different view of things. The greatest reward she got was, she realized what she really loved.

"After my few years in the business world, it was the time when War and Beauty was the most popular hit. I always imagined myself, who would I have been? Perhaps Maggie Cheung's role? But I'm not arrogant or pretty enough...why am I still dreaming? It's because I still really liked acting!"

In 2005, Florence guest starred in Dance of Passion and made her official comeback.

"Although I really lost a lot of money in the businesses, but deep down, I really didn't regret it. I have a boarder view of things, I gained experience that money can't buy. If I didn't go out to see the other side of the world, I think I would still be the old arrogant and inconsiderate Florence Kwok. I dare to say, I treat the PAs a lot better now."

Seeing Florence now, whether in sitcoms or series, she's quite appropriate, if she needs to be strong, then she's strong, if she needs to be funny, then she knows to let herself go.

"When I was in the 'gaming world' back then, no matter if its shoes or shui mai, I could really talk about anything. One time Jonathan Chik scolded me: 'Can you please focus?' And I didn't even know I was wrong: 'Cheh, as long as when you call 3, 2, 1 and I can start acting, it's all good!' Jonathan said: 'Look at Bowie Lam, he doesn't just wait for the 3, 2, 1. He's in the right state of mind all day long!" I suddenly woke up, since I know I love acting, and I'm really happy going to work every day, so why not do my best? I can say now, I am much more concentrated into my acting than before."

Not Hungry or Thirsty for Love

Florence is turning 43 in August, "I've been single for many years. That's not sarcasm. I'm really used to it. When I had the flu earlier, I drove myself to the doctor, it's no problem. I don't mind having a boyfriend, but I'm definitely not hungry or thirsty for one."

As everyone knows, Florence has been in two relationships. The first was in The Kindred Spirit, she was with married man Lau Siu Kwan.

"Back then I was young, I couldn't get out of my character. Now, it's different. In Gloves Come Off, I really loved Kenny Wong, but I know how to get out of it. Today, if you ask me again, anyone who comes near me and has a wife, I would tell them to go home and sleep."

The second relationship was with TVB scriptwriter 'tall man' Chung Kwok Keung. The two dated 4 years before breaking up. "We are still good friends, but can't get back together. If I'm going to think about that, why not just move into the future. I don't look back."

She likes humorous men because she's afraid of being bored the most: "Just like Bobby (Au Yeung), pretty good. Even if it's Louis Yuen, he's okay too, but his gags are a little too rotten."

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More