Saturday, December 29, 2012

Raymond Lam - Retiring From Showbiz One Step at a Time

At this year's TVB Anniversary Awards, it is the first year TVB did an all-citizen public vote for TV King and Queen awards. Everyone thought Raymond Lam, who had the most fans, would certainly get the award, but what was the result? He didn't even get half of an award. What a disappointment. Raymond said: "Of course there is disappointment, but I was already back at work the next day, how can I let disappointment drag me down? But honestly, I did think about what I would say if I got the award. I thought of many people I had to thank. This year, I really have to thank every one of my family members and everyone who loves me. Ai! But it's already good enough to have my family and fans support! There are a lot of news and rumors going around, but actually there is no such thing."

The public is saying Raymond isn't happy with Wayne Lai becoming a three time TV King? Raymond said: "There is no such thing. I've always wanted to collaborate with him, but its unfortunate I still haven't had this opportunity. Wayne came to support me during my concerts and for my upcoming concert, I plan to invite him to come watch too."

But Raymond is only doing one TVB series per year now. It was initially set for Raymond to be part of next February's series Food for Slave with Ron Ng, Wong Cho Lam and ex-rumored girlfriend Linda Chung and he already did the sales presentation for it. However, he told TVB that he's not accepting this series. As TVB is lacking Siu Sangs and the current Siu Sangs like Kevin Cheng and Bosco Wong are already in Mainland filming; Moses Chan and Kenneth Ma are working on other series Transfer of Love Firm and The Hippocratic Crush II respectively, TVB is having a major headache on the casting and could only try to persuade Raymond to accept it.

Tommy Leung: Will Talk to Him Again

It was rumored Raymond declined to be part of this series because he was upset that he did not get any awards this year? Executive producer Tommy Leung expressed: "I am really not sure, but that role belongs to Raymond. Of course we hope he can be part of the cast. (But he didn't want to shave his head?) I'm currently on vacation, when I get back I will find out what the situation is. I'll try to talk to him again, there is still some time because the series doesn't start until late February."

Food For Slave producer (Wong Wai Sing) said: "The role has not been fully confirmed yet, many times the sales presentation isn't the final cast. (But its been said TVB intended Raymond to be the first lead?) This role is indeed very suitable for Raymond, it is about a prince becoming an emperor. The role has lots of room to develop and Qing dynasty dramas are very popular in Mainland. We can discuss more and he doesn't necessarily have to shave his head. Just stick on a wig, but the hair on the side must be shaved."

Lost TV King & Turning Down Series Not Related

Raymond admitted he turned down the series, he said: "The main reason is because this is a Qing dynasty series. If I had to shave my head, then I can't do other jobs, such as commercials, sponsors or music. There is no reason for me to be wearing a hat all the time. Also, I have a lot of jobs on hand between February and May. Filming schedules are tight, and at the same time I have two films releasing, Saving General Yang and another TVB invested film, so there is a lot of promotion work to be done. Saving General Yang isn't just promoting in Mainland, it's globally promoted. I feel sorry too, but I actually just want to concentrate on one thing, I don't want to be too distracted. First, that is physically exhausting and secondly the outcome won't be that good. Why should it be this way? Basically, this has nothing to do with me not getting any awards and I'm fussing to TVB about it."

Not An Impulsive Thought

In the past, TVB 'biological son' Raymond Lam had always been under the impression that he's 'bleeding TVB's blood', but it was understood Raymond actually only has a year left in his contract and he still does not have plans to renew it. Raymond did not answer directly, he said: "My contract isn't up yet, haven't really thought about it. I'm just focused on my concert. (What is the relationship like?) We've been okay." After some more talk, Raymond finally said honestly: "Ai! I've been confused before and didn't know what direction I'm taking. Should I be continuing to pursue my acting career? Or should I go back and be the eldest son in the family? I eventually chose family, my family. If I continue to be in this field, it is impossible for me to spend time with my family. Actually, I really like to be home and not many people know this. Because there is too little time for me to communicate with them, even my family doesn't know. When I first entered this industry, I wanted to do something I had interest on, something I could make a living off of and not let my family worry. However, there are a lot of unnecessary news that worries them. This reality is far from what I had pictured."

It looks like Raymond could only choose one out of the two, family or acting career. Will Raymond be willing to give up his career and retire from the industry completely? "I only could choose one out of the two. How can I not be willing to? What I'm pursuing is basically not these things, and it is not an impulsive thought. I've been thinking about this deep down for a very long time, my life goal is to go back take up the responsibility in my family. If I spend my life like this for another few years, then what? Since I've entered the industry, my mentality had not changed, my family is still the most important. My Dad is already 60 years old, his rags-to-riches family business, how could I not go back and help him out? That is not filial at all. I'm a family-oriented person."

When will this happen? Raymond said: "Won't be too long, but at what time, I really don't know. When I get to the point where I really don't have motivation to continue pursuing anything (referring to his acting career), I will choose my family." Is it because you lost the TV King award that you feel discouraged? "Absolutely not related. I have always had this thought inside my heart. (Disappointed?) How so? What if I get a lot of awards, then what? My plan, ideals and thoughts are all around me wanting to spend more time with my family. That's it. (Not afraid Fans be unhappy about this?) They love me very much and hope I find my own goals."

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More