Friday, November 30, 2012

Kwong Wa: Don't Watch TV, Don't Even Own a TV

Lately on the HK Golden Forum, there is a 'Male God Chart' and the disappeared Kwong Wa is surprisingly one of the nominees. Netizens in HK Golden Forum said they like watching Kwong Wa play an emperor the most because he has that hegemony feeling. It's been a long while since we seen Kwong Wa on TV, last Wednesday (11/21st) he made an appearance at the ATV's 55th Anniversary celebration show, where he performed as part of the 'ATV Big Four' -- Kwong Wa, Nathan Chan, Jiman Poon and Gilbert Lam. 50 year old Kwong Wa entered the television industry in 1986 and is best known for his Emperor roles. He also loves to intimate Andy Lau, even the Heavenly King Andy had praised him before: "Kwong Wa is more Andy than Andy himself!"

It's been 8 years since Kwong Wa been in a TV series, he would just come out once and a while for stage performances with his wife Connie Mak. He once said he will no longer shoot TV series. In fact, he doesn't even watch TV, and has no idea what a "Male God" is!

Kwong Wa is a year younger than Andy Lau, and when reporters asked him to pose for pictures, he immediately put up a Chok look and sat like an emperor. Despite many years of not seeing Kwong Wa, he is still going strong, but he seems more peaceful than before. He said because he and his wife both became Christians recently and learned to just let things go. There is no need to force or demand anything.

He said, "The 'ATV Big Four' was ATV's idea, you ask me how do I watch ATV? I don't think ATV is that bad. They used to have their good times too. I think the first thing ATV needs to do is to start producing TV dramas again, after all a TV station must have their own produced dramas to look like a TV station. I've been acting for so many years and worked at both ATV and TVB for a long time. I understand a TV station's ultimate priority is to make money, so there are limitations to many things. Just like 2004's TVB series The Conqueror's Story produced by Lee Tim Shing, at the time a lot of the budget got cut. There was suppose to be this one huge war scene with thousand soldiers and horses, but I came out as the 'thousand soldiers' and Adam Cheng was the 'thousand horses'. I understand the way a TV series functions, and I can only say each individual has different needs."

Kwong Wa and Connie Mak were married in 1992 and are still a very loving couple till this day. Recently, the couple made a comeback on stage, providing mutual support and earning money together. Kwong Wa said work is like their honeymoon. A bird kills two stones.

"My wife and I? We don't watch TV at home, actually we don't even own a TV. I've been working at the TV station for so many years and it had always been operating the same way, no changes. That's why I wanted a break. What I feared most were those roles that's like a white piece of paper, nothing on it! I'm currently very happy with my life, and welcome any TV station that wants to approach me offers. The most important is for a good script and a hard working team!

I'm on the 'Male God Chart'? What is that? (It means the male version of Goddess!) Hahaha....Netizens are just thinking too highly of me. I rarely go online, and didn't know people still mention Kwong Wa on the internet. I'm really pleased to know that there are still people that miss me or discuss my old series online. I know I've let the audience down, so I do hope to see everyone soon!"

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More