Saturday, November 10, 2012

Denise Ho Comes Out: I Am Gay

Yesterday Denise Ho (Hocc) and Anthony Wong took part in the annual gay pride parade, Hong Kong Pride Parade 2012 along with 4,000 other people. Hocc's sexual orientation was officially made public at her participation of the parade. Hocc's parents, good friends Wyman Wong, Hilary Tsui, Edmond Leung's wife Karen and a large group of friends outside of the industry attended as well to support her. Before the parade started, Hocc was asked if she'll come out [to announce her sexual orientation]? She said: "We'll chat after this is over." Shortly after, the parade marched from Causeway Bay up to the Chater Garden in Central.

Hocc was dressed neutrally at the event and had a head full of sweat after the parade ended. After taking a break backstage, Hocc appeared on stage and performed her 'brokeback' classic Louis . Lawrence (勞斯萊斯). At one point, Hocc became emotional and tears came running down her face, she said: "Today, it is a very important day to me. After so many years of facing the media's questions and speculations, I don't think it is necessary to put a label on me or for me to explain."

Hocc expressed because of the public consultation, she believed there was a need for her to step forward, she said: "I still think there exists discrimination, prejudice and biased views. It is no longer a choice to remain silent. Every individual has so many apprehensions, I know I will lose some opportunities after saying this and there will be a lot of trouble. Actually, coming out should have been done several years ago. I just couldn't find the right time to do so. Today, in an environment with so much love, peace and toleration, I feel it is my duty and responsibility to stand up for love." Hocc then paused for a moment and took a deep breath before announcing: "I am proud to tell everyone here that I am gay." Everyone in the audience cheered and applauded in response. She has become the first Hong Kong female singer to admit that she is a lesbian. Anthony and Wyman went on stage to embrace her while singing along to "光明會". Then Hocc's good friend Joey Yung's famous song My Pride played.

Hocc got off the stage and embraced her parents. When asked if a heavy burden lifted off of her? She said: "I waited for this moment for a long time. First, I have thank my father and mother." When asked when she decided to come out? She said: "In the past few days. (How did you explain to your parents?) I know they will have unlimited support for whatever I do. Yesterday, I called my father and told him. He answered, just come out!" When asked if she first notified good friend Joey Yung? She said: "I did notify her, she said 'you do what you think is right'. (Did you tell her to come too?) No, this is very personal decision." As for the rumor that Joey went on a trip to Japan with boyfriend Wilfred Lau? Hocc coldly said: "I don't know." Hocc later expressed on Weibo, "Today I am very happy."

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More