Sunday, November 4, 2012

Ben Wong - Lofty Ambitions

TVB artist Ben Wong gained recognition based on his role "Ah Hoi" in 1995's long-running sitcom The Kindred Spirit. The ambitious Ben tried working elsewhere without hesitation, such as in Mainland and ATV. However, after all the switching around, he finally ended back at his 'maternal home' (TVB). In the first few years, he was pretty much getting ignored. Feeling discouraged, Ben went and complained to Virgina Lok: "You said I can't do it when you didn't even give me a chance to do it. That isn't fair to me!" It wasn't until his role as 'Spicy Ginger' (Lak Geung) in Lives of Omission when he won recognition again!

BEN: When I left TVB, I was very ambitious, I thought there was a need for me to work elsewhere and make a breakthrough. I've collaborated with many different actors from several different places, from Mainland to Taiwan to Singapore. I've filmed series for a different market. At the time once I left TVB, the first person I got to work with was golden scriptwriter Wai Ka Fai and co-starred Sean Lau and Adam Cheng. Was I feeling proud? Yes I was! You can say whatever about me, but I was very happy to be able to be in a Wai Ka Fai script! I spent a few years shooting TV series in Mainland, yes I did earn money, but I wasn't getting anywhere. Casting was not made just for you, unless you go fight for it with someone, but I didn't want to leave my hometown and be like that! HK doesn't broadcast Mainland series, so the people in HK would think you disappeared or went to ATV!

"I Have Family To Raise"

Back at TVB, I believed they never saw my performances, like I was still on probation to them. You have to endure through the process, earn that trust back and let people know that you can still withstand this! Before the 'Spicy Ginger' role, my position was sometimes high and low at other times. When you are asked to make a guest appearance, the producer will tell you, 'there is a story, and I want you to do it, but it's only three episodes.' That just means you recognize my abilities, but you don't have the courage to actually let me go do it. That's really strange. Sometimes, I'm only participating in 3 episodes, but they hold me on the schedule as if its a 20 episode series. How will I make a living then? I'm not an actor who owns a [Mercedes] Benz and have my own driver, I actually really do have to raise a family! You hold me on the schedule as if it was a 20 episode series, but just give me the money for doing 3 episodes, then that really is a setback for me.

"It's Unfair"

If you have persistence, then you will bound to gain some trust. But my persistence left me discouraged, then why don't I just leave! If I'm not working at TVB, then I can work elsewhere. However, you must insist and have faith. I just didn't know how long I had to wait! I'm rather optimistic, I would say: "Just get through it!" It wouldn't be good for me to say, "Hey if you don't use me, it's your loss!", right? I remember I told Miss Lok (Virgina Lok), you let me do it and I will show you I can do it! You didn't give me a chance to do it, and say I can't, that is unfair to me! Later, my manager at the time helped me get the 'Spicy Ginger' role and I'm really grateful. Even the scriptwriter said that I was the only one they wanted to cast this role for, they never thought of a second choice to replace me.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More