Saturday, April 14, 2012

Edwin Siu 'banished' to Mainland, starts from scratch in HK at age 31

In the recent series Daddy Good Deeds, 35 year old Edwin Siu plays the lovesick Malaysian-Chinese "Yip Kwai" (Ah Yap), which has been well-received by audience. Even his co-star Linda Chung praised that he's just too cute. However, Edwin won't feel too proud or have too much pride. It's just in reality, he has been in the industry for 10 years, but has experienced a lot more than artists in the same year as him. When he debuted, he was very popular, but due to just one comment, he was banished to Mainland for 4 years. That feeling is just as if he was thrown down from a 100 story building, very disturbing. Today, he rather enjoy the reality of starting all over.

In 2002, Edwin entered the industry through a singing contest. Back then, his rivals were Juno Mak and Shawn Yue. At one point, he was called 'Prince Siu' in an interview and was extremely popular. When the high-spirited Edwin won the newcomer award, his one comment "Evil Cannot Win Good" took away everything he had. {C}{C}(Which was thought to imply that he's ridiculing Juno Mak, at the time it was rumored Juno had his wealthy father to rely on. He offended Juno's father and was shut out in the music scene){C}{C} Later, he was forced to go to Mainland and was finally able to return to HK 4 years later. He joined TVB and started all over, as a newcomer.

Edwin frankly said he was forced to go to Mainland back then. The feeling was similar to being banished. He lost everything in one night. "At the time when I found out, I really was scared. It felt like I fell from the 101th floor of a building. Although before I went to Mainland, I already had a lot of negative news, like an arrow striking my heart, I started falling from the top floor, but that was still in HK. When I had to leave HK, it was like I rapidly fell from the 70th or 80th floor down to the ground. It was truly hard to bear. At the time, I really thought of switching professions, but I was reluctant."

During the 4 year struggle in Mainland, Edwin still felt reluctant and told his mother that he wants to start over in Hong Kong. "When I got back, my mom said she really wanted to see me on TV. She asked me if I could come back and do it, that time I was already 31 years old, it's my last chance. After all, I decided to come back and was prepared to start again as a newcomer. I won't get the lead actor roles, but at least its better than before. I got popular too fast, nothing was concrete, but now I am slowly feeling that its really true, I hope my development gets better and better!"

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More