Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Anthony Wong Yiu Ming speaks out: I Am Gay

Following the late superstar Leslie Cheung, director Stanley Kwan and singer Chet Lam, Anthony Wong (Yiu Ming) has been in the music scene for 27 years and has become the fourth most courageous artist in HK showbiz to admit that he is gay! Last night, Anthony and and Tats Lau finished off the last show of their concert in HK Coliseum, there were nearly 10,000 audience at the concert with no empty seats. Artists such as Miriam Yeung, Calvin Choy and his wife, Remus Choy, Leo Ku and Fiona Sit all supported the show as well. The two pregnant ladies, Miriam and Mrs. Choy (Calvin's wife), got so high that they even stood up to cheer. It was a very lively atmosphere.

When the concert progressed to the end, after Anthony finished performing the homosexual songs Forbidden Colors 禁色 and Forgetting Him is Her 忘記他是她, he slowly took his hat off and placed it on the stage and then walked towards the audience. He said in a serious tone: "The first night, people asked me if Anthony Wong is a homosexual? If that statement means underground, I am not an underground homosexual. Since 1988 when I borrowed Chan Siu Kei's writing on the song Forbidden Colors and then in 1989 Chow Yiu Fai's Forget Him is Her, I have never tried to hide my sexual orientation."

Then, Anthony shouted out to the 10,000 audiences sitting before him with courage: "I am a homosexual, I am a gay man, I hope other homosexuals and gay men can put away their fear. Its not necessary to be like the Forbidden Colors lyrics: 'Hope someday, won't need to bitterly show restraint, the forbidden colors to make dye in dreams like rain...let me disappear within the rain and reborn in the era of fantasy.'" Screams and cheers were heard from the entire HK Coliseum after Anthony made his confession. Audience applaud thunderously, all the celebrities that were there to support Anthony got up and cheered, some audience were so touched they teared up.

Coming out of the taboo, Anthony frankly criticized society's conservativeness: "We are in the 21st Century, there is no need to fantasize who to love one day, there is no need for you to approve, no need for you all to guess my sexual orientation." Anthony shouts loudly once again: "I am a homosexual, I am G-A-Y, Gay, a Gay Man, I like men. Sorry media friends, I ruined the fun for you. I still have another 25 years to sing, you all don't need to ask me that same question again. In the future, there is nothing more to say, tonight I already said everything. Thank you all." Following the speech, Tats Lau appeared on stage and ran towards Anthony: "Tonight, you really moved me. I really love Anthony, God loves Anthony, God loves homosexuals, the sick people and sinners."

After the show, Anthony accepted an interview during the after party, and denied he was deployed to announce his sexual orientation. When asked if its like dropping a heavy burden? He frankly expressed: "It has never been a heavy burden. Why did I say it tonight? It is because I've been singing for so many years and society still hasn't change. The younger generation are scared to tell their family. We are in the 21st Century, this show really pertains to Hong Kong, but the system of values is getting more and more terrifying. It's not open enough, so I just feel like I should speak out." When asked if he encourages his fellow gays to follow his footsteps? Anthony said: "Not encourage, each individual has their own way of doing things. Some people are really scared of this thing, but I feel there's no fear, but also there is no need to guess, it is a personal decision."

Anthony frankly expressed his boyfriend was at the show to support him too. When asked if he plans to get married? He laughed: "Temporarily no plans because there is no such thing in HK. My next step is to help HK fight for our rights." Also, asked if he fears hindering his opportunities in China after making his sexual orientation public? He asked back: "Why? If I'm not allowed in, then that is a big deal, there are a lot of gay people in China. If so, then the country has really been declining." Last night, Anthony wrote on Weibo: "Who minds not maintaining in the later years, just a smile is already aging. Thank you all, I'm Pretty Happy and Gay."

In regards to Anthony "coming out" to admit his sexual orientation, Rainbow of Hong Kong, a homosexual organization, the spokesperson (Tommy) expressed although there hasn't been plans to invite Anthony to disseminate information on bisexual topics, he has always been greatly admired for his courageous actions. This is the courage and loyalty of one's own performance.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More