Thursday, April 12, 2012

Evergreen Mak & Nancy Wu - Evil Makes A Breakthrough

When Evergreen Mak meets Nancy Wu --- one became popular for his despicable role as Fei Fan Gor (No Regrets), while the other was acknowledged for her evil concubine roles. Unexpectedly these two were able to create heartwarming love sparks. In the current airing TVB series Daddy Good Deeds, Evergreen and Nancy play a loving couple. Asking in a harsh way: "Is this considered evil stands out and can finally be good people?" The two said together: "We will do whatever role TVB gives us. We never got to choose."

In fact, Evergreen has been with TVB for 25 years already, and Nancy is already stepping into her 10th year into her acting career. This is the their first time having scenes opposite of each other, as they play a loving married couple that struggles with their own careers, but are mutually supportive. To Evergreen, a caring husband is nothing too difficult for him, he's familiar with it. In reality, he is a father of two - one boy, one girl. Not only does he look after his own parents, he also does not neglect his in-laws. "The happiest is the series finale. It is also something I could do in reality, that is the whole family under one roof. We all have our own personal space and can often have dinner together."

Works Part-Time To Pay Off Debt

If Evergreen was the director, he should be able to turn his own story into a movie. He moved to Hong Kong from Shunde (in Guangdong) when he was 12. In 1987, he participated in TVB's first 'Super New Star Contest' and entered the industry from there. He has once experienced one year where he had no income at all, and only relied on overdrafts and credit cards to live. He worked part-time as a salesman at a shopping mall and paid off his debts in that way. When his acting career was still going nowhere, his mother and brother were diagnosed with cancer at that same time. His brother died at the age of 26, but Evergreen was fortunate to have the opportunity to continue being filial to his mother.

Although he had an especially tough journey, it has nothing to do with him choosing acting as his career. "Honestly, I often feel discouraged. I don't earn much being in this industry, and really can't raise a family. I can continue working in sales at a shopping mall, which clearly is more stable than acting. However, my wife knows that if I didn't choose this path, I wouldn't be as happy as I am today. Her support for me is very important."

Evergreen was in the industry for 23 years before he encountered the 'Fei Fan Gor' role in No Regrets. It is the first time he won TVB's Best Supporting Actor Award, and finally he reaches to popularity. "In fact, I have never changed my acting style, was Fei Fan Gor especially good? No, it is because luck hasn't come yet. I am not that type of lucky actor that can wait for scripts. I don't have the opportunity to wait, wait for a good role to be given to me. This is my life, I am just doing my best on each and every role I get."

Half Evil, Half Good

Nancy Wu is the 2008 'Most Improved Actress Award' winner. Since she entered the industry, her acting career was considered pretty stabled, no fears or dangers. We all agree that she's a good actress, but in 2010 and 2011, she made it on the nominations for 'Best Supporting Actress', but left empty-handed. "In the last few years, the more I think about it, the more I feel that each individual's luck is different. Sometimes it feels like everyone acknowledges you, but you don't get the awards. In fact, it is not necessary to put heavy thoughts on these gain or losses. Getting the award does not mean you are the best and no awards does not mean you are the worst."

Well-known for her villain roles, Nancy said she never got to choose her roles: "All along, I only got to choose whether to do it or not. But to me, that does not matter either, I don't separate good roles and villain roles, it's just there are differences in the roles. I won't categorize roles, it's just because viewers see the effect that they start categorizing good and villain roles."

Don't Let Past Success Hinder Future Success

Evergreen has also started viewing things more openly, he frankly said that no matter how successful 'Fei Fan Gor' was, it is all last year. "I remember several years ago, Ng Mang Tat told me, don't let previous achievements become today's prejudice and hinder future achievements. Thinking all day about the past will just hinder you from improving. Whether or not I can produce another 'Fei Fan Gor', that is my goal." He used Bobby Au-Yeung's words, that he used during his emotional acceptance speech back when he won the Best Actor award: "There are some things in this world, that Heaven have left for you. Just as long as you do your own part, Heaven will definitely reward you."

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More